Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Do you shine on in a world of darkness??


Somewhere between the end and the point where we begin, there's a fire burning brightly, that's found it's way to dim,
when the feelings gone...
shine on! shine on!


~Shine On by: Needtobreathe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRlVs1Q-WTY


This song is one of my very favorites! It's at the top of my "Top 25 Songs Played" list on my ipod for a reason. Not only is the beat amazing and the hooks extremely catchy, the lyrics pretty much describe what I strive to do everyday. No I'm not a pyromaniac if that's what you're thinking. I do however, have a very special attachment to a certain kind of fire. :)


Somewhere between the end and the point where we begin,there's a fire burning brightly that's found it's way to dim...


So normally I'm a very positive person. I say normally for a reason. These past few years, it's been a bit of a struggle for me to keep a smile on my face all the time. Having to quit all of the sports and various activities I used to love has taken it's toll on me. Being known around school as "that poor girl who had to have both her legs realigned" hasn't helped much either. Through it all though, I've tried my best to keep a positive outlook. No I'm definitely not perfect. Lately I've been going through some days without giving hardly anyone a smile. So why is it then that going to the hospital, the one place I should feel the least happy to be, has become something that I enjoy??

When the feeling's gone... Shine on! Shine on!

Talking has never really been that big of an issue for me. I suppose I get that from my parents. both my mom and my dad love to talk. Whenever I go somewhere with either or both of them, one or the other 9 times out of 10 ends up running into someone they know. Even if they don't run into some acquaintance, they always end up having at least 1 long conversation with someone they meet. My mom knows all the guys that sell us our meat at the grocery store by name, she has weekly chats with the mailman, and she has a gift for getting complete strangers to tell almost anything about themselves to her. My dad's the same way. He knows the names of pretty much anyone he's ever talked to, he frequently makes conversation with the waiters or waitresses that serve us at restaurants, and he knows all the nurses in the cancer ward at the children's hospital near us (He's a pastor and he visits sick kids there all the time). I guess I shouldn't be surprised then that every time I've been to the hospital for an appointment with my surgeon, all 3 of us have ended up in conversations with some incredible people.

And let the others see you've got your victory...



If I'm wearing shorts or a skirt, it's pretty hard to miss the fact that I've had major leg surgeries. After all, I do have a bunch of long scars running up and down both my lower legs. It's only natural for people to ask me what happened I suppose. By now, I've gotten used to answering streams of questions from complete strangers. Most of them can't believe what I've been through simply because they've never experienced a major medical issue or something similar themselves. At the hospital however, that rule doesn't apply.


I will remember you...


I'll never forget the first time I was sitting in the x-ray waiting room at Froedtert hospital right after my first surgery. I was anxiously awaiting getting my leg x-rayed to make sure that everything was healing correctly. The doctor had just cut off my post-surgery splint, I was sitting in a wheelchair with my mom next to me, and my leg was still covered all over in dry blood from the surgery. Almost immediately after we arrived in the waiting room, a lady sitting in a wheel chair beside me asked me what happened. I reluctantly told her my story and then to my surprise, she told me her own. Before I knew it, everyone else in the packed waiting room was exchanging their own life stories too!!



Will you remember me??



Every time after that I've sat in that hospital waiting room, the same thing has happened just with different people. There's something so encouraging about hearing other people's own stories of conquering life's challenges. Last time I was there, I met a girl around my own age who was dealing with some of the same leg issues I have. She and I exchanged emails and I've been messaging her ever since. I can only hope that I've made as strong as an impact on her and those other people I've met in that waiting room as they have on me. You never know when you'll get the chance to brighten someone's day, so even when you don't feel like it, offer others a smile and shine on!!

2 comments:

  1. I relate with this post really well. Beautifully Disastrous- the definition of me. Are you into fashion because I have just started a blog -follow if you want to and I don't have many blogging friends so tell them about it to.
    URL:
    http://theinevitableworldoffashion.blogspot.com/

    I really like this blog will like to see what else is posted often.
    Read others soon,
    Jasmine- The Inevitable World of Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came across this blog and it is just amazing! Amazing! Feel free to stop by my blog sometime and leave a comment letting me know what you think. :)

    http://impulsiveintuitions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete